"There's only one place to get all this -- Diagon Alley."
Mrs. Weasley in the movie Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The first stop for kids attending the party was Diagon Alley, the place where young witches and wizards obtain all the required school supplies. As the kids arrived, they received a list of school supplies that they needed to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The list, which was a shortened version of Harry's actual list, can be printed and copied onto parchment style paper.
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and WizardryList of required items
First-year students will require a plain work robe (black)
All students should have a copy of The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS
After getting their list, the kids were escorted to a room in the house designated as Diagon Alley. We used our den/office space. The room was divided into different areas representing the shops of Diagon Alley. I set up the room for guests to move from station to station in a sequence, and had 1-2 adults/helpers to supervise. I printed out signs for each "shop" and taped them over each area. This was the sequence:
Diagon Alley Shops
- Gringotts Bank: first stop to get gold for shopping
- Apothecary: for a cauldron and crystal phials
- Ollivanders: magic wand
- Flourish and Blotts: bookstore to obtain spellbook
- Madame Malkin's Robes for all Occasions: where the kids were fitted for robes
- At Ollivander's - make the "Lumos" spell with your wand. Dip the tip of the wand in some glue, then in some glitter.
- At Flourish & Blotts - coloring pages are included in the Book of Spells. Just provide crayons.
- At The Leaky Cauldron - guests can sit at a table and enjoy a small cup of water, punch or butterbeer.
Next Stop: School Supplies from Diagon Alley