Tuesday, October 20, 2009

School Supplies from Diagon Alley

Wizarding Money from Gringotts Bank
I just filled small jewelry pouches with gold play money from a party store.  The pouches I ordered online from a wholesaler, they were a bit cheaper per pouch.  If budget is tight, just use small cellophane or paper bags.

Cauldron from Apothecary
I bought black gift bags from Michaels, a local craft store, they were on sale 2/$1.  The handles were white, so I sprayed them with a little black paint.  Name tags for each child were stickered onto each bag.  These became our "cauldrons" and also our party favor bags for taking home all the party goodies.
Also stapled to each bag:  a coupon good for one visit to Honeydukes Candy Shop.

Crystal Phials from Apothecary
Crystal Phials are just small plastic cups with lids.  I got mine from the party store, but Smart and Final also sells stuff like this.

Spellbook from Flourish and Blotts
I printed out a 5 1/2 by 8 inch spell booklet using Microsoft Word.  I downloaded free fonts and several magic themed coloring pages from the Internet.  The booklet contained a list of many spells and incantations used in the Harry Potter books and movies, with the coloring pages interspersed.   At the end of the book were some blank pages for the kids to make up their own spells, which they actually used to my amazement!
Go to the Standard Book of Spells for more detail.

Wands from Ollivanders
Every wizard needs a good wand.  I bought a pack of cheap wood chopsticks and stained them a glossy dark brown with some leftover stain we had in the garage. At the wand shop station, I also put out a small cup of glue and a small cup of glitter for dipping and decorating the wand tips with "Lumos".

Wizards Robes from Madame Malkin's
I sewed two cords to capes made of inexpensive black nylon lining fabric to make a robe that tied around the child's neck.  The cape was approximately 18 in x 20 in , the cords about 8 in long.  Six-year olds aren't that big!  Lining fabric ravels at the edges, so I zigzag-hemmed them with a sewing machine, but you could also use liquid fray check or stitch witchery to iron up the edges.


A pic of the "robe"

Next Stop: Standard Book of Spells

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or question by clicking on the comments link, below: